Hi Line or Roof mounted solar systems [Thermosiphon]
This is one of the most styles of solar hot water systems in the past 20 years. The entire unit including the tank and the solar panels are installed on the roof area.
When the heat from the sun heats up the solar collectors the water heats up and becomes lighter which makes the hotter water rises to the top part of the collector than into the above tank, which also makes the colder water fall to the lower part of the panel.
This is what is called thermosiphon effect. The greater the water temperature difference between the tank and the solar collectors the faster the flow between the two then becomes.
- Up to 80% more efficient than a standard electric storage hot water heater.
- Minimal maintenance.
- Rebates may apply to this unit.
- Can run multiple showers at the same time.
- Long life.
- The entire unit is located on the roof area.
- Is one of the smallest carbon footprint than a electric storage hot water heater.
- Must have a suitable roof type and position north facing is most suitable.
- Best suited in a non shade area of the house roof.
- Can only be boosted by electric booster.